Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Jewish Survey of the Day/Month/Week/Year

I am adding a new feature in my periodic blog: reviews of Jewish surveys. As those familiar with me are well aware, I cast a jaundiced eye over much of the work of what used to be my field (through September 2010 I was an associate research scientist at the Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies at Brandeis University; since October 2010 I have been working as a senior analyst/project manager at Abt SRBI Inc.). I will vaguely organized this around the Standards of Minimal Disclosure of the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR) Code of Professional Ethics and Practice [May 2010] which is, to whit, information that shall be included "in any report of research results or make them available immediately upon release of that report" (read the Standards here). This is the basic information required for a reader to make informed use of statistics in the public domain. It is not an "academic" standard (most AAPOR members work in industry, not academia), nor is it particularly difficult to meet. Any survey that exists for purposes other than pure entertainment should adhere at a minimum to these standards. While I initially planned to keep my focus on AAPOR compliance, I immediately fell off the wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment